Thursday, February 24, 2011

Speaking of Hops...


Hop farm in Germany (Photo by Marti Benutzer)

I thought it was interesting that I just posted a blog about hops and no sooner had I finished than I received word from my local homebrew store that hop rhizomes were ready to order. Rhizomes are cuttings of roots, (these of course being from a hop plant) that once planted, will grow as much as a foot a day up to 25 feet. I ordered 6 Cascade and 6 Centennial rhizomes. Once harvested in August or September, I hope to get a half to a full once of dried hops per plant. Just enough for a few limited batches of seasonal Hopzilla Harvest IPA and Harvest Eight Legged Pale Ale.

1 comment:

  1. Beware the neighbors may suspect illicit activity if they are downwind of your crop in mid August, just sayin'

    ReplyDelete