Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Evolution of Beer…at least in my house. (Or, from plastic to stainless.)


Looking back 20 years ago, I can’t exactly remember what motivated me and my friend Mac to take a trip to our local homebrew store in El Cajon, California. But I distinctly remember the smell. Open barrels full of white wheat, Munich, and 2 Row Pale Malt filled the store with a thick, hearty aroma not unlike fresh bread. One look at the glass door refrigerator full of fresh hops, the walls lined with cans of malt extract, and I knew this was something I wanted to do.

Back then, like so many homebrewers, I purchased a starter kit consisting of a plastic bucket, lid, air lock and assorted siphons, hoses and 2 cases of empty bottles. (I still have the bucket.)


I even remember the first beer I made, it was a pilsner extract from Coopers that I named Copperhead. ( A play on my last name). As the years went by, I dabbled on and off with brewing as a moved across the country and sometimes found it hard to find supplies.

Fast forward to last year, and an old high school friend of mine mentioned a brew supply, Great Fermentations that he got his supplies from. One step in the store, and I was transported back 20 years to that shop in California. I picked up some new supplies, replaced some old equipment and was back on a regular brewing schedule.

Now, after 20 years of brewing and 25 years of marriage, my wife upgraded me to a top tier system. Two 20 gallon pots and a March pump later, and I’m brewing more than ever before and now it’s all grain recipes.


The Blichmann system I have is perfect for brewing 10 gallon batches. It took a about 2 weeks to put together, and if you plan on getting one, e-mail me and I’ll give you a few tips that are sure to save you a lot of time. My problems will be your secret to success! More than once, I had to make adjustments and take items apart and re-assemble, but all in all, it was worth it. In addition to the top tier system, my wonderful wife also purchased a 14.5 gallon “Ferminator.”

Next post, I’ll walk you through a few stove top batches and then walk you through an all grain batch on the new top tier brewing system.

1 comment: